My Walk with the Lord

True stories about God's miracles and how He has blessed my life through trials and troubles. It touches on a range of topics from angels to single parenting, death, nursing homes. You will laugh, you will cry, you will be amazed to see how much God really loves you.

Monday, May 01, 2006

I Harvest an Abundance of Potatoes

I Harvest an Abundance of Potatoes

Ecclesiastes 3 v 2 "A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;"

I live in south Georgia, and I always plant a garden every year. One of the vegetables I plant is red Irish potatoes. In late January, I prepare the soil by plowing it with my tractor. After the seedbed is finished, I go down to Dan Bennett's, our Blackshear garden seed center, and buy my potato seed. I take this 50 pound burlap sack of seed, cut the eyes from the potatoes, and let them dry for a couple of days. Meanwhile, I prepare the rows for planting. Mind you, all this preparation is hard but fun work, and I do get my hands dirty. The fresh plowed dirt is a scent that I always remember...a blessing from the Lord.

I then plant the potatoes in the open row. I lay them gently in the row, placing each seed about 18 inches apart. After I do this, I fertilize them, and then cover them up with dirt. I did my part, and then I wait on the Lord to give the increase. After three or four weeks of patiently waiting, I see some green shoots poking up through the soil and look on with wonder. It is always a wonder to me to see things grow, to know I had a part in it, and to meditate on the amazing providence of God. He sent the sun to warm the earth, the rain to water it, and man to till it.

I carefully watch my plants that sprung forth from the seed I planted because I know that the potato plant has an enemy...it is called a potato bug. This little critter has alternate black and yellow stripes and if you see one there are more. Sure enough, after my potato plants were about six inches high, I spotted one, then another. I hooked up my sprayer, mixed together some insecticide, and then thoroughly sprayed my tender plants. In a couple of days, I inspected my potato plants, and the enemy was gone. The Lord sent some more rain and sunshine, and one day I fertilized the potatoes once more, and plowed them for the last time. I then had to patiently wait for the harvest.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 was the big day...the harvest day I had been anticipating since that long ago (it seemed to me) January day when I had planted those potato seeds. I decided to plow the potatoes up with my Farmall Super A instead of my Ford 3000 tractor. I hooked up the plow, and as Nancy, a friend of mine looked on, plowed up that first row. Low and behold, there were fresh red Irish potatoes everywhere! Nancy and I picked them up and took them to the barn, washed them off, and put them in five and 10 pound mesh bags. I estimated that I had a harvest of 250 pounds from the 50 pound sack of seed I had planted. It was worth the wait to see this blessing from the Lord. Small red potatoes cooked up in some green beans is sure a tasty treat.

After the potatoes were harvested, I raked up the now useless plants, and throwed them in my burn pile. I then took my Ford tractor and plowed up the ground where they grew. I will plant something else (maybe okra and Indian corn) where those plants lived and died. Over the past 19 years of planting, cultivating and harvesting a garden, the cycle of life of a plant reminds me of what King Solomon said in Ecclesiastes..."there is a time and a purpose for everything under heaven".

Everytime I plant seed I am reminded of the parable of the seed in Luke chapter eight verses five through 15. I particularly like verse 11: "Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God." Over my many years of being a "seed-sower" for the Lord, I have planted many spiritual seeds. I have seen the enemy destroy some of these seeds, I have seen some fruit from these seeds, and I am still waiting for the harvest from other seeds. I know that my labor (yes seed sowing is hard work) for the Lord has not been in vain, and I will reap what I have sown.

Galatians 6 v 9: "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

Irvin L. Rozier, aka walkin2e

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home