My Walk with the Lord

True stories about God's miracles and how He has blessed my life through trials and troubles. It touches on a range of topics from angels to single parenting, death, nursing homes. You will laugh, you will cry, you will be amazed to see how much God really loves you.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Veterans' Hospital

I went to the Lake City Veterans Hospital the other day. As I was sitting there, looking at all the vets, I begin to write this poem. I finished it this morning.

The Veterans' Hospital

I went to the veterans' hospital today
I had to drive a mighty long way
As I entered the hospital front door
I noticed the fresh shine on the floor

The waiting area was filled with vets of all ages
Their stories would fill pages and pages and pages
They used to be airmen, soldiers, sailors and marines
Think of all the sights and things their eyes have seen

The World War II vets are getting quite old
Many suffered in the German winter cold
Korea vets are nipping at their heels
In those days they missed many meals

Vietnam vets served their very best
They rank up there with all the rest
Cold war vets kept the enemy at bay
Until the Berlin wall fell on that day

Gulf war vets completely followed their orders
And drove the enemy back across the borders
The number of the War on Terror vets daily grow
They have been where the desert sands blow

All of these vets deserve the hospitals' best care
Many of these vets have wounds that are hard to bear
The staff of the veterans' hospitals must remember
Veterans served our country from January to December

May the Lord keep watch over these women and men
Who are sacrificing much now as they did when
They wore the military uniforms of the United States
And served their country on their active duty dates

Copyright 2006, Irvin L. Rozier, Captain (Retired), US Army Reserves, Chaplain of American Legion Post 181

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home