My Walk with the Lord

True stories about God's miracles and how He has blessed my life through trials and troubles. It touches on a range of topics from angels to single parenting, death, nursing homes. You will laugh, you will cry, you will be amazed to see how much God really loves you.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Reflections on Thanksgiving Day 2005

REFLECTIONS ON THANKSGIVING DAY 2005

Every Thanksgiving, my family comes together at my oldest sister's and her husband's house. I have four sisters and our parents have already gone on to be with the Lord. My brother-in-law, Joe, arises early in the morning and begins to cook the turkey, chicken, boston butts, and sausage over his pecan and oak fueled cooker. I live nearby him, and can smell the aroma of the cooking meat. This Thanksgiving, I went down there early and ate a piece of that sausage..boy was it good!

All the extended family, some friends and neighbors begin to arrive around 11:30. It was a beautiful, sunny South Georgia day...a perfect day for enjoying the food and company of loved ones. I pulled an old fashioned bottled Coke from the ice covered tin tub, opened it up, and enjoyed the taste of ice Coke from the bottle. Earlier, I had placed Cokes, Orange and Grape Crushes, Root Beer, and Wild Cherry Sodas in this metal tub, throwed on the ice, and waited for them to get cold. All the little ones (and old ones I might add) seemed to enjoy this special treat.

As it came time to eat, I looked at the well laden table and reflected on God's goodness to me and my family. Joe asked for quietness (hard to accomplish when all the little ones are running around), and said a few special words. One of the things that he said was, "Just for today, enjoy this day. Forget your troubles, and just be thankful for your blessings." He asked me to say the prayer, and I asked the Father in heaven to bless the food and our time together.

The food was wonderful, and afterwards, we gathered under Shirley and Joe's large outdoor patio, and sang a few songs. My daughter, Eva, and her husband, Jack, led the singing. We sang "Will The Circle Be Unbroken", "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" and others. It was such a special time.

Some of the ones there was there for the first time. My special friend, Nancy, had two of her children there from Texas. John and Beth are both students at the University of Texas, and had come to spend the Thanksgiving holidays with there Mom. Debbie and Sonny, my son-in-law's parents, also spent the day with us. There were several other new faces, and they were received with open arms. Shirley and Joe are both gracious and giving, and we sure appreciated them opening their home to all of us.

Some of our family members were missing. My oldest daughter, Joy, her husband, David, and their son, Josh, live in England so were not with us. Joy did call and talk to many of us. She always enjoyed these Thanksgiving get togethers. My son, Joel, spent Thanksgiving with his girlfriend and her family. It was the first one he has missed since we started the Thanksgiving tradition. My niece, April, was not there. She recently was married and lives in California. My nephew, Tyron, was not there and two of my brother-in-laws did not make it.

As I looked around and saw the faces of my loved ones and friends, I reflected on the ones who used to be there but had gone on to be in that Family Circle in heaven...Mama, Daddy, Eric, our neighbors, Pat and Mrs. Kelly. I know that they would have enjoyed this Thanksgiving.

After the singing, I cranked up my blue Ford 3000 tractor, and took everyone on a hayride. I had to make three trips, even with the 18 foot trailer, to make sure everyone got a ride. I admit I enjoyed being the tractor driver, and as I looked back at all them loved ones I was hauling, I was thankful. Some of the grandkids, grandnephews, and nephews shot basketball...Yes, I shot with them...One of my grandnephews, Caleb, said to his third cousin, D.J., "We let an old grandpa beat us!" My grandson, Dusty, Joy's 11 year old son, came to spend the afternoon and night with us, and I was glad he did. He lives with his Dad and stepmom in nearby Waycross.

As it began to get dark, Joe built a bonfire, and two of my nephews put on a fireworks display. The little ones were roasting marshmallows, and Shirley's friend's son began picking his guitar and singing. It really was a special time. Austin, my three year old grandnephew, roasted me two marshmallows, and insisted I eat them all. I did.

This was a great day, a day of memories, a day of blessings from heaven, and I believe a way of passing down our love for each other to the little ones...they will remember this day.

To my sisters, Shirley, Evelyn,Linda, and Joanne...thanks for your love and support. To my daughter Eva...you were so glowing when you were singing, and I know the child (my third grandchild) you are carrying will be a blessing and joy. To my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, thank you for placing me in this family.

Irvin L. Rozier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home